Release Date: October 10, 2009
Minimum Requirements: Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard or later
123,413 (66,043 this version)
Every Office Needs One
Introducing the digital document shredder. You're familiar with them around the office - those loud devices that leave mountains of finely shredded paper in their wake. Not you can have the convenience and security of a digital document shredder right in your Dashboard; even better, its 100% silent and doesn't leave shredded bits about for you to clean up later. It's variable shred levels give you just the amount of protection you need.
Virtual Paper Pulp: Getting the Right Consistency
- Low: Bypass the trash can. This is a quick way to get rid of those files you know you don't need, leaving the trash can for those things you just might want to dig out later. It still provides a 1 pass overwrite of the deleted data.
- Medium: Secure erase. This mode overwrites your shredded documents with a US Department of Defense compliant 7 pass procedure.
- High: Virtual Paper Pulp. Use this setting for only the most sensitive files. Though it might be slow, the 35 pass Gutmann algorithm will ensure that no data from these files is ever recovered.
Security? Pleasure? Both.
The digital document shredder is everything you need to feel secure while sitting in front of your Mac. Be careful, though: shredding is total and permanent, and Interdimension Media assumes no responsibility for any loss of data that you may incur through its use (that's the point, though, right?). Just watch out; the desire to round up some digital scraps of paper just for the satisfaction of watching them shred to bits may overtake you.
To shred a document, click and drag a file from the Finder. Then use the F4 Dashboard hotkey (or F12 on on some keyboards) to call up Dashboard, keeping the document in hand. Drop it on the shredder to permanently erase it from your system. If you want to adjust the shred level while dragging, simply press the spacebar while hovering over the widget.
You can also toggle sounds on and off by pressing the 's' key, for maximal authenticity.
- Permanently and securely deletes your sensitive files
- Three shred levels give you exactly the level of protection you need (see descriptions above)
- Support for queueing multiple documents
- Stunning graphics and smooth animation
New in Version 2.0
- Improved graphics and smoother animation
- Faster shredding for smaller files
- Optional sound effects (press 's' to toggle)
- Shred actual document previews
- Minor bug fixes
- OSX 10.5 and later, only. (Still on Tiger? Download version 1.2.1)